Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bariloche

Bariloche is a pretty nice town. It's bigger than the previous places (well over 100,000 inhabitants) and it must get a lot of money from tourism because things are quite nice here. It's the first city I've stayed in where the hostels give you a decent breakfast!

Bariloche exhibits the traces of a European founding. We went on a great hike the other day by a Swiss village.


Here's a shot of the hostel house I'm staying in. It's really a pretty nice place for $13 a night. The inside of it they call the hobbit hole.









I ran out of clean pants so I wore some water proofing slick rain pant cover things. They don't breath AT ALL so my legs got sweaty. I found a very fashionable solution.






















Bird

















So this was a really funny sign. The trail actually starts in the exact opposite direction. Many of the trails are poorly marked and you can't really tell where to go. This one was finally so clear that it was ironic that it pointed in the wrong direction.







We climbed quite an incline for three hours or so. Why these cows decided to do the same I will never know.

  





We sort of lost where the trail was heading and ended up following the water up the mountain. I'm not sure if we just have trouble following trails or if they really aren't marked.


Beautiful area. Classic Bariloche.

 



 

j




  This was our group from the 7 lakes tour of the area aroung Bariloche. We rented a car and spent a day driving up to San Martin and back. It's me, a girl from Brazil, one from Switzerland and the other dude is Palestinian. Had a very interesting conversation with the Palestinian fellow. Interesting to compare his version of history to that of the many Israelis I've talked to.



  This was one of the most fun days we had in Bariloche. The city is home to the largest ski resort in South America at Cerro Catedral. We rented mountain bikes for 100 pesos, took them up the lift and down the mountain several times. Me, John and Julian/Amulek from Poland.


  The 'quick' Columbian :)



***Warning*** Explicit Material below!!! One very white muchacho.

Drying all my stuff at the edge of the lake.



 


Mucho trabajo para conseguir esta foto.


3 comments:

  1. Jacob Fenn- I can't believe how brave you are and I can't articulate how jealous I am of your fabulous adventure! !!! How in the world did you get from Thatcher to Patagonia? You must have your Dad's wanderlust and I think that is great, but I will have to live through you because I am lucky to get out of Utah. I am interested in astronomy and I am teaching my students about constellations- particularly circumpolar constellations. What constellations can you see this time of year in Patagonia? Good luck, sharrie nelson from TP 1st ward

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added your blog to my list. I will be reading everyday. What a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacob...Wow, what an amazing adventure. I, like Sister Nelson, am jealous of your travels. I LOVE your pictures and enjoy your wonderful sense of humor. Thanks for sharing. Be safe! Marlene Shirley

    ReplyDelete